Tuesday 7 May 2013

A Soiree With Surreality.

They occupy my living room,these people I barely know.
I remember them from a Dinner Party I attended over a decade ago.I don't remember too much of it,apart from the fact that there were these dogs that savoured ice-cream and this  man I acknowledged as "The Kit-Kat Guy."
They wear painted faces,under deceiving smiles.Painted so red and full of life by pomp and a lie of a life.
Why do I judge them? Because my life has partly been about encounters with people such as these.
It's no less fake,the smile I wear..flashy and as deceptive as theirs.The teacups stand untouched on the table.
Why do we even tolerate people we can't stand?
I almost always fail to understand Adult small talk.I begin to zone out  as they talk about rising blood pressure levels and "borderline sugar"  and thyroidism.
I long to sound really smart and state "Perhaps,they are related..because thyroxine is secreted into the blood."
But I keep mum,because I know better.One of two things will happen..They will either feel too outsmarted or they will provide me with their expert opinion of how I must become a doctor.
Now as I mentally argue with myself,weather I must stay till they leave.I decide it's too rude,so I stay.They begin to ponder over the conversation topics of "settling children" ..and that turns into flaunting wealth and well-being.It's saddening,the prospect that I might grow old to turn out like these people.
But then again,there is always a slight evolution with each generation,right? Or is that just up in my head?
I look over at my Father,his face,it looks distant,withdrawn.Lately his behaviour and choices have been reminding me of an imbecile child.He walks away without a word,and returns only to bid farewell.
I don't blame him,he wouldn't know better..if I were to call people such as these friends,I'd turn out that way too.

1 comment: