Tuesday 26 April 2016

Faiz,Fish and Feminism.

In no particular order,
like stream of consciousness writing,
like the endless afternoons and 2 AM silences,
Shared,as we sprawled ourselves,
under the ceiling fan
laid bare our most intimate ambiguities
 in the summer.
Played a poem on loop,
it rendered out a refrain that stuck with us,
it claimed to promise us a time in the future,
when we'll get to witness the
mountains of injustice that loom over us
blowing away with the wind like cotton wool.
I don't know how revolutions work,
but I've walked with fleecy cotton wool,
floating by my feet on a late summer evening,
lingering on the street,final attempts at shadowing
the seed from losing it's sheath.
I've seen dandelions losing their feathery tufts,
in the pattern that was printed on 
my sociology professor's cotton shirt,
like the plausible cover of a novel.
I realise that all those that are vulnerable 
are endangered because they're frail,but this very
vulnerability will become strength,
letting go of inhibitions,
even if it means letting go of the fleecy 
blanket they wear.
Her lapel has a tiny brooch,she wears a different one
everyday,today,it's a fish,mustard and red,
it's eye staring down at me,
like those fish filled with swirls of Madhubani strokes,
ubiquitous in folk art.
Is it a hilsa,a flying fish?
Is it koi,the fish that symbolize luck,
the ones my roomate yelped with excitement
at,the first fish she ever saw,
 realised the childhood dream she dreamt,
having grown up up in a desert.
Is it one of those tiny river fish,
I swam with in my father's hometown,
wild and free and slimy,they tickled my little feet.
Is it the kind of fish my sister grills
with basil,
its tender flesh dissolving on one's tongue
like a strip
of acid,
at least that's how they show it in the movies.
Look for love,
and you look for love,
but it's not where you're looking for it.
It's not about others
loving you,
or how much you deserve,
for that is just an age old way
of preserving
"who should be loved,how and how much",
pickled with salt,heirarchies and whatnot.
Often,in your confessional mode
you mete out poems
about love that is not a commodity,
about people that aren't commodified.
Saltwater fish swim in doodled seas,
sketched beside annotated texts,
clouds of cotton tumble past time,
what is sublime?

2 comments: